Tuesday 31 July 2012

It's All Going So Well (Apparently)..

The tidal wave of positivity and euphoria sweeping the London media since the opening of the Olympics shows little sign of abating but the perma-smile is already starting to get a little worn.

My journey today went well for the most part. Despite the "advisors" on hans at Waterloo, there didn't seem to be anyone travelling all the way to Weymouth for the sailing. On the way home, I ran into the crowds at Cannon Street being confronted by a closed station and no trains.

Delays are continuing now so not a good evening for SouthEastern trains.

Yet we are told by the likes of David Cameron and the ludicrous Boris Johnson how well everything is going.

Westfield at Stratford is not surprisingly doing well but other parts of London are suffering. Shops in Greenwich are angry that barricades have blocked them off from people walking from the railway station to Greenwich Park and it seems many London theatres and restaurants are complaining that the dire warnings of transport chaos have kept people away.

It was fascinating to read in one part of tonight's Evening Standard how bad things were around Covent Garden only, a few pages later, for someone else to claim it was busy and everyone was happy. This infantile doubletalk needs to be challenged.

The plea now is for ordinary Londoners like me to come into town and, well, fill the gap. The truth is that many many people decided to go away from London completely to avoid the Games and it's only now that the ridiculous cretins who are cheerleading this occasion are beginning to realise how unappealing all this faux joviality is to the bulk of Londoners, many of whom didn't want the Games at all and for whom life has to go on as normal while everyone else seems to be enjoying themselves.

Well, here's a challenge - let's see these so-called empty restaurants tempt people in by cutting their prices and increasing their portion sizes. Let's see some theatres offer tickets discounted by 75% or more. If the Games can offer cheap or free tickets, then theatres and restaurants need to do the same.

My other challenge is for someone from LOCOG or anyone else to comment and tell me what I, as an 51-year-old Londoner with no children am going to get out of the Olympics. I suspect that, as is often the case, I'm going to be left with the bill after everyone else has had a good time and gone home.

I'd like to be able to run or walk round the Olympic Stadium free whenever I want or use the swimming pool for free whenever I want and for this so-called spirit of inspiration not just to be confined to the young but to people of my age or older.

There's nothing for me in these Olympics yet I'm supposed to enjoy them. Well, LOCOG, I'll take some free tickets and a lifetime commitment from you to provide sport for older people.

I won't hold my breath...

No comments: